Infrastructure Support Engineer at IT Lab, Cape Town
IT Lab is a leading technology and managed services provider in the UK, ranked within the top five European and top 50 global managed services suppliers and operates out of offices in London, Manchester and Cape Town and, via its global partners, in 13 countries across the world. The award-winning company provides a range of services including 24/7 support, cloud services, ERP software implementation, technology transformation and change projects, strategic consulting and analytics.
We are a dynamic and fast growing company that truly values and is reliant upon our people, our culture and our commitment to excellence we call Service Obsession. Being the best means having the best people, and getting the best people means being the best place to work.
A core part of our business is our Cape Town operations centre from which we provide 24/7 support to our predominantly UK based clients and their global operations via a 1st – 3rd line service desk, 365 days per year. This operation is planned to expand significantly in the coming years. This expansion is to not only accommodate growth in our service desk, but also an expanding remit to broaden our local service capability.
An opportunity has arisen for an experienced Support Engineer to join our Infrastructure Services team working from our Cape Town Offices acting as the technical escalation point for highly complex support issues arising on our client sites. Relevant experience and the ability to learn quickly, communicate well at all levels, work with 100% commitment and contribute to the success of our existing team of dedicated professionals is vital.
Reporting to the Team Leader, the key deliverables of the Infrastructure Engineer can be summarised as follows:
- Technical escalation point for complex issues not resolved within Service Desk across London, Cape Town and Manchester
- Delivery of Problem, Incident and Change Management for Key Strategic Clients (KSC) and IT Lab internal systems
- Attain technical guru status in one or two specific areas
- Perform reactive on-site visits where remote resolution not possible
- Delivery of internal project implementations
Duties will include (but are not limited to):
- Delivery of high quality support on escalated complex incidents and problems across the IT Lab client base
- Escalation point for Service Desk Manager and Service Delivery Managers for specific client issues
- Provide high quality support for Key Strategic Clients (KSC)
- Delivery of reactive on site visits where remote remediation is no longer possible or time critical
- Working on a shift basis incorporating both day, swing and night shifts on a rotation basis
- Lead and / or assist in the delivery of internal project implementations to assist the Head of Internal Systems
Location and environment
This role will be based in Cape Town – South Africa, however you will work amongst a team split across our Cape Town, Manchester and London offices. Our company culture is non-hierarchical and one which stems from a work hard, but have fun environment. We like to laugh, we like to do things together and among all the challenges of growing a fast paced business. We endorse people being themselves, allowing them to focus on outcomes and substance rather than form.
If you think you are a relaxed, confident, self-driven and motivated individual, then the Lab is the place for you.
Required skills and capabilities
The ideal candidate will have/be:
- Minimum 6 years’ technology industry experience
- Previous experience of working in a shift environment
- Previous experience in a 3rd Line or similar Senior Support role
- Strong demonstrated experience with Windows Server 2008 and most recently with Server 2012
- Experience in Exchange support and implementation
- Solid networking experience and holding either a CCNA or CCNP and relevant routing and switching experience
- Experience with Office 365 migrations
- Experience with Physical to Virtual Server migration as well as VMWare or Hyper V experience
- Experience with Linux
- Excellent communication skills – professional phone manner and ability to write professional emails and document knowledge clearly and concisely
- An appreciation for understanding how to deliver against service expectations
- Shows initiative at every level
Generic essential individual attributes:
- Excellent technical ability in one or more key virtual team areas
- Very good technical understanding of current leading technologies, suppliers and industry terminology
- Able to prioritise under pressure and work to deadlines
- Excellent Decision making, judgement, planning and organisation skills
- Flexible, calm and approachable, ‘can do’ attitude
- Solid customer relations skills to understand client/client representatives concerns and requirements
- Ability to work well within team, supporting other team members
- Willingness to gain relevant qualifications and accreditation's
- Salary dependent on experience
- 22 days’ annual leave
- Pension and Medical Aid scheme
- Continual professional development plans
- Working for an established UK based employer with predominantly UK based clients
- Free breakfast daily, lunches paid for on Friday (and a whole array of other benefits)
- Working hours of 40-45 hours per week (on a shift rotation)
Good luck and please bear in mind we receive a very high number of applications; we will endeavour to get back to all applicants, however, we thank you for understanding this is not always possible for unsuccessful applicants.