A renowned and leading ecommerce retailer in South Africa is looking for a Software Scala Engineer to join their team on a full time permanent basis for their offices in either CBD, Cape Town or Stellenbosch, Wine lands or Johannesburg.
They offer some of the highest salaries in the industry plus work from home, half day and flexi hours and employee education assist. Apart from that they also have free coffee bars, sushi bars, gourmet restaurants, resting pods, open bar on Thursday and Fridays with free drinks and major employee discounts for any online products. The total package offers full flexibility according to your needs, a great work environment and promise that one will not be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build a great career with them. All necessary training and mentoring will be provided.
They really have an incredible trendy working environment, best way to describe their offices
environment is exactly like Google and this is the reason why they are South Africa’s leading ecommerce business.
They are a young, dynamic company growing at a phenomenal rate and looking for smart, creative,
hard-working people with integrity to join their team.
They are one of the largest and most innovative ecommerce retailers on the African continent.
Apart from their offices in CBD, Cape Town, Stellenbosch and Johannesburg, they also have expanding warehouses in Johannesburg and Cape Town, while expanding department selection to over 21 departments across Electronics, Lifestyle, Media & Gaming and Fashion. They have over 1,200 employees and have an excellent employee retention rate, because they value their employees.
They are an energetic team that is fully responsible for all the systems required to support the groups delivery network as well as the unique challenges that come with logistics and scale. They make extensive use of functional programming within the team using the Scala language. The main focus of the team is to migrate the delivery platform from PHP to Scala. They have adopted a microservices architecture to both isolate our logic and to enable scale. They follow the event driven architecture as well as utilize a graph database to model our delivery network. They are currently working through unique problems in the logistics space and are actively researching the usage of the actor model design pattern and graph traversal optimization.
The reporting structure will work where the successful candidate will report to the Software
This position reports to the Software Development Manager. Responsibilities:
- Developing and optimizing systems to manage both parcel and delivery throughout South Africa
- Working with business to improve processes to allow for more efficient deliveries
- Researching and defining solutions within the logistic domain
- Working predominantly on open source platforms
- End to end ownership of solutions
Our Tech Stack:
- Solid communication skills
- Comfortable with change
- Willing to learn as well as teach others
- Play Framework
- Akka Actors
- Mqtt & Kafka
- Amazon Web Services
- Graphite and Grafana
- Experience in writing robust, efficient production code
- Experience with SQL database systems
- Experience with development in a Linux environment
- A suitable degree or similar qualification
- Proficient in a strongly typed language such as Scala, Java or C#
- Open to diversifying language skill set
- Their employees are entrepreneurial & dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun & share the ambition of the company being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- They have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions, & are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where they can improve.
- They are short on ego and high on output.
- They are doers and not only thinkers, it's all in the execution after all.
- They love what they do & what they are creating.
- Respectful but forthright
- Competitive, self-directed & strive to be the BEST
- Passionate about the potential of e-commerce & delivering world-class customer experience
- Entrepreneurial, thrives under change & accepts it is a constant & always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- Business SMART: Able to think about problems from a business perspective using technical & product input;
- Curious & challenge the status quo
- Innovative & enjoys iteration
- Cutting edge of developing new concepts for the company
- Is Smart, has integrity and is Hard Working