PBT Group Cape Town has a role for a Senior Data Engineer. The successful candidate will join the organisation in the role of an Senior Data Engineer. He/she will be part of a highly dynamic and analytical team working in an agile environment.
Guided by a BI Technical Lead, this role will be responsible for sourcing and transforming a wide range of data across our business into formats that can be used by analysts and end users to develop differentiating business insights.
They will develop analytical modules using the specified toolsets to enable the analytical teams and business to create and analyse complex analytical models. Hence, they need to understand and continuously seek to build knowledge of data and information. In addition, they should be able to use the technology and seek to make use of the features therein to deliver value to the business.
The person fulfilling this role will not only design and develop, but also required to investigate data issues, troubleshoot technical issues and devise solutions in line with best practice. A high competency in problem solving capabilities is thus essential. They should be able to communicate technical information to technical teams, as well as be competent in communicating challenges and solutions to project and operational leadership.
An understanding of data management solutions and a keen sense of the strategic value of information to an organisation will be of importance.
It is essential that the candidate exhibit and maintain a positive attitude in a highly agile technical and business environment where information forms the foundation to gain a competitive edge in the market.Knowledge:
- You have a strong data modelling / engineering background with the ability to interpret business requirements and technical solutions to develop components of or complete data models.
- A solid background in SQL, information architecture and ETL procedures is required.
- Experience working on SAP Hana is preferred and highly advantageous.
- Experience with object-oriented/object functional scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala or related is preferred but not essential.
- Data warehousing principles based on Kimball and Vault patterns
- Development experience in BI
- Agile Development
- Development using Java, SQL, etc
- 4+ years' experience as a data engineer / modeller experience in a BI environment.
- Ability to comply to and manage reusable assets under the governance framework of the DSUA and MOU
- Excellent SQL skills
- Ability to code in Java, Python, R plus other languages - advances, including understanding of SDLC, GIT, Code management / standards / re use and API integration (Expert)
- Ability to do cost estimations for new workloads